Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Amy, Untitled, #3 and now Down Under.



Opening later on today at the Latrobe Contemporary Gallery in Morwell, Victoria, Australia, there will be a two week group show titled “Dreaming Hazel Dooney” with participants having submitted works inspired by or based upon the persona of sometimes controversial Australian artist Hazel Dooney (Google + and  Facebook and Tumblr).

Last winter, when I was asked to participate in the show by Hazel, I hesitated. This was partly because I wasn’t sure what to submit. The show was originally planned for the early Fall in Australia (early Spring here) and I didn’t have the means to shoot anything new by the submission deadline. As I mentioned in the artist statement I submitted for the show, I wanted to find an image that would embody elements of how she is perceived by the public generally, and by those who follow her work more closely online.

I felt that the nude - and occasionally erotic - strong female form evident in Hazel’s work, her go it alone against the art world attitude, immersion in her art, and occasional admitted personal vulnerability, combined as elements in this image of my model Amy that I settled on: A woman alone in an empty room. Nude and exposed on a bare floor. Curled in a fetal position and covered in her ink. But perhaps also peacefully asleep on a blank canvas and dreaming of her next major piece.

The show runs from September 10-22, 2011 at the Latrobe Contemporary Gallery at 209 Commercial Rd, Morwell, Victoria, Australia 3840.  I can't get to the show - the first overseas exhibition I am participating in - but if you happen to be in the Adelaide area and fancy a trip out of town to Morwell, check it out for me. :)

This and most images from the past 2-3 years on my blog are available as prints.

Feel free to +1 this if you are on Google +!)

No comments: