Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Friday, July 6, 2007

Once bitten...

cross posted test from work4bandwidth.blogspot.com

This is an echo of what Dana wrote last week on her Facebook, but not about the same person. It could also have been titled "tis the season..."

I take photography quite seriously. I work hard to make everything go right every time. When a model and I make arrangements to meet either for a 'go see' , or for an actual shoot, I have the expectation that barring unforeseen circumstances or acts of ( insert whatever deity you believe in), both parties will be at the appointed place at the appointed time. To put it bluntly, shit happens. I know that. It happens to me too. Cameras stop working. Computer get annoying. Weather happens. Traffic happens. People get sick. Real life intrudes. But if it does, I have the expectation that you will get in touch with me. Get mine and provide your contact information so we can cancel, delay or postpone. Check your emails.

As Dana said, there are many amazing models here in town. I have met some new faces already this summer that are inspiring. Some don't know they are models yet, others have a track record of shoots and are known to be super to work with. They bust their asses to show up - usually for free - and put 100% in.

Others, however, are perhaps too young (not in terms of years) to understand that there is a lot of behind the scenes that goes on prior to a shoot. Call it logistics. Call it planning or brainstorming. Whatever. I treat what I do like a business and I need for people to get this. If you don't show up for a consultation or a go see, I think of it like not showing up for a job interview. Not showing up to a photoshoot is like missing a day of work. Both do not put me in the best frame of mind. And really makes me reconsider working with that person at all.

If I have set aside part of a day for a creative model shoot, that means I am not doing a paid session or something else. We may shoot only for an hour or 90 mins, but by the time I prep my gear, drive there, shoot and drive back that can be three or more hours that need to be blocked out. It wrecks a day essentially when you don't come through. If you were left waiting somewhere, make up and hair done perfectly, wearing the cool clothes you washed and ironed, and I didn't show up how would that feel?

This will sound lame to some, but watch ANTM or it's poor sister CNTM. The show might suck for the ratings related cat fight dramas, but there is one thing models can learn from it. Take a look at their running around Sydney, Paris, Milan or Toronto on go sees. If they are late, get lost, do the appointments in the wrong order, or return past the deadline, then that's too bad. They are out of contention, don't get the prize, the job, etc.

Same thing applies for working with the photographers, MUAs, or fashion designers here in London and elsewhere. There are a lot of talented folks here who will bend over backwards to make beautiful photos with you, but only put up with so much before it's "thanks but no thanks." And just like models talk about photographers, word does get around.

I want what we do to be fun. Be artistic. Be creative. Something you may not have tried before. But I also want it to happen. I am generally pretty easy going and there was a time when I may have forgiven poor behaviour because I was building my port. But now, I have more than a few people who want to work with me, and want to hire me to shoot them. Paying clients, that I cannot easily brush aside, take priority. Models, or wannabee's, who cannot commit and don't have the common courtesy to get in touch, are quickly becoming not worth my time and effort.

Treat me with the same respect I treat you, and we will get some awesome pictures. Treat me with little respect, and you can go shopping elsewhere for your model fix.



Carpe Diem

No comments: