Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farrah Fawcett dies at age 62

Farrah Fawcett © Bruce McBroom

The iconic image - to some of a certain age range - was taken at her home, by her pool, with photographer Bruce McBroom's old Mexican blankets as a backdrop. No stylists, no assistants, no art directors. He said in an interview for Time:

Farrah didn't like the way she looked in a bikini and didn't have one on her. So she would go in the house and come out in a swimsuit and say, "What do you think of this?" ... I shot rolls of film, and it just wasn't happening. She's a beautiful woman, but there wasn't anything that I would put on a poster. ... I said, "Farrah, are you sure you don't have a bikini? Something different?"

She went in to look around and came out of the back door and stood in the doorway in this red suit, and she said in her Southern accent, "Well, is this anything?"

And I literally said to myself, "Oh my God."

That poster went on to sell millions.

I am old enough to remember these posters on backs of bedroom doors and in university residence rooms.

Rest in Peace, Farrah. My thoughts go out to Ryan and their families.

As a point of Trivia, Farrah first appeared on Charlies Angels, on March 21st, 1976, when I was celebrating my ninth birthday. I don't recall watching it that night. :)


Mike

Mike Wood Photography

No comments: