Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Thursday, December 31, 2009

So ends the naughts




And I can genuinely say good riddance to the decade with the dumb name. Particularly this last year. It was awful. Aside from a handful of photos I liked, the Williams show (and the great women I photographed), this year was one of personal setbacks and tragedy. 

Despite my best efforts to be there for him, in the summer I lost a good but troubled friend to suicide. His death devastated his family and friends. And I guess it messed me up for a while too.

Work I had over last winter ended due to the economy and I was out of work for months. While I eventually did find work, I had to travel 250km a week to get to and from. My living accommodations needed to be downsized twice this year, and I had to eventually give in to moving to another city for work. Even with that I am barely living pay to pay. Sometimes I am not. Lucky there is nothing to do here to spend money on...

I have stopped doing photos for the time being or blogging about it. With simple survival on the mind, it's a question of priorities. I just can't put my heart into it when I am so distracted. Thanks, however to those who have encouraged me to keep plugging away at it and want to work with me. I want to work with you too, but I want to do justice to the potential that I see in our images. Right now I don't think they would be as good as they could be.

Things will get better. But it's a long haul. Buddhists say one of the Four Noble Truths is that life is suffering. While another truth says that suffering can be overcome, I am wondering what I did in a past life, because this Karmic payback is a bitch.

So, here is to 2010. May it be better than 2009. Which, really won't be much of a stretch.


Mike

No comments: