Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Monday, January 25, 2010

The Printed Word


Shadow with contrasted Marshmallow sky, 2010

With my computer being craptastic, my marble mouse iffy (the wireless is skipping and doubleclicking all the time), TV generally un-entertaining (no more Conan doing Free Bird), and my photography lacking (in quantity not quality), I have decided that I am going to do more reading this year. 

I used to read dozens of books each year. In my teens I kept a list of books. It was over a hundred novels long from about the age of 14 to 19. Judging by that number, my shyness apparently didn't often let me realize girls were more interesting than books...

But in this techie age, I seem to have given that up - the books that is. And I got rid of a lot of my books.

This evening I returned to the library "In my own words : an introduction to my teachings and philosophy" by HH the Dalai Lama;  and "What makes you not a Buddhist" by Dzonghsar Jamyang Khyentse, which I finished yesterday.  I then checked out  "Stages of Meditation" by HH the Dalai Lama;   "Buddha : a Penguin life" by  Karen Armstrong (I didn't know Buddha was a penguin, so this intrigued me).

Last, I grabbed perhaps the only Robert A Heinlein book I have never read: "For us, the Living." I had and still have every other book written by him - and it disappoints me a bit that most libraries and some book stores may only have one or two copies of his books. They are a great read.

When I was going to the library, it occurred to me that Heinlein died 22 years ago. Seems like just yesterday. Makes me feel old heheh. Perhaps it's just my beard...

Looking forward to reading all three.

Namaste.

Mike

No comments: