Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Steampunk Lightsabers


Went for a very long walk the other day. It involved some bush crashing and hill climbing: I wanted to get around the bend of a river when the hiking path was on the other side of the river. Luckily - or perhaps unluckily, there was no one with me to photograph. After coming out of mosquito, spiderweb and mud land, I came upon the tail end of a train that had stopped just after crossing a bridge. I had heard it for about half an hour it seemed, but wasn't sure exactly where it - or I was.


I had approached the train from the shadow side - which wouldn't have made for the best imagery. I made my way down the track for 7-8 rail cars to the back and found the train had stopped about 10 feet from the beginning of the bridge. Had it stopped with the last car on the bridge, it would have been too tough to go around safely and I wasn't going to climb on the train.

The far side had a lot of foliage growing quite near to the edge of the track bed and I knew I wouldn't get any distance shots so settled in on some close ups. Two cars were carrying empty steel frame supports of some sort. Most chained down properly. Others most definitely not with disconnected tie down chains.


These initial images of the screw threaded tension adjusters on the tie down chains reminded me of some sort of steampunk lightsabers.






These and most images from the past 2-3 years on my blog are available as prints.

Mike

No comments: