Not totally photo related, not just a journal. A bit of both.

Monday, September 1, 2008

End of the Star Trek Experience

Vulcan, Alberta, June 2007

CNN's web site finally commented on the closure of the Star Trek Experience that Wired blogged about on July 6th. So today is the day. After ten years it is closing apparently after a failure to negotiate a new lease between the attraction owner Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., and the Las Vegas Hilton, its landlord.

I went there in 2004 as part of a one day stop over in Vegas on a drive from San Diego to the Grand Canyon. The Star Trek Experience was the only reason I selected the Hilton as a place to stay despite it being off the strip and the monorail being shut down at the time.

As a life long Trek fan, it was fun to visit it and see some of the props and toys and memorabilia not available easily elsewhere. Though an upgrade in new technology and such would help it along. Another sign that the Trek franchise is done...

At least there is always Vulcan Alberta - which has a huge Starship downtown and the UFO shaped tourist office is also a Star Trek merch. store with lots of official items and even some autographed pictures.


Mike

Mike Wood Photography

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been talking about going for the last 10 years, but hadn't. On a fluke I was driving by Vegas 2 weeks ago and decided to stop. I'm so glad I did! They told me about the closing when I was there. I totally lucked out that I was able to see it before it went away forever.